The famous Pomposa Abbey originated in the 7th century along the Romea road connecting Venice and Ravenna and reached its peak in the 11th century. The atrium of the church was built in this period, with a simple architecture decorated with brickwork and circular transverse beams, and the bell tower (1063). However, at the end of the 17th century, the monks abandoned the Abbey, and its decay was inevitable. In the 14th century there were numerous works of great quality produced: the frescoes of the Church, begun in 1351 by Vitale da Bologna, those of the Aula Capitolare (around 1310) and those of the Refettorio, attributed to Pietro da Rimini (1320 circa). The history of the Abbey is summarised in the Pomposian Museum, which houses a large collection of artefacts and art objects from the 6th to the 19th century.