For panoramic views of the city of Verona
High up on San Pietro hill in Verona, with panoramic city views, is Castel San Pietro, a fortress that bears witness to countless historical stratifications and subsequent rebuilding projects. In 1398, Gian Galeazzo Visconti had it built on the ruins of the fortress built by Berengario between the 9th and 10th centuries, near the ancient Romanesque church of San Pietro in Castello. The building stood for just over four hundred years, before being destroyed by French soldiers in 1801. In 1840, the Austrians demolished what remained of the Visconti castle and church. In their place, construction began in 1851 on the barracks-fortress that we see today.
The current building was designed by Austrian Colonel Petrasch in the Neo-Romanesque style, considered more appropriate than the Neo-Classical style for military use. Owned by the City of Verona since 1932, it is not open to the public because it has deteriorated due to neglect over time. However, the site is popular thanks to its elusive location and is accessible on foot from the steps in front of the Ponte Pietra bridge, which you can reach by car or funicular. The opposite esplanade, overlooking the Roman Theatre and Ponte Pietra, offers magnificent city views.