A town among the rivers of the Po Valley
Bagnolo di Po is a small town in the province of Rovigo, in Veneto, on the eastern part of the Po Plain just a short distance from the river.
The village was founded in the late 10th century by the House of Este, the dynasty that was also responsible for the land reclamation work, which allowed the first homes to be built here. Bagnolo di Po has been flooded many times over the centuries, not only by the Po but also by the nearby river Adige and the smaller river Tartaro, which borders on the town.
If you're planning on an excursion to the nearby area, don't miss the opportunity to visit the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, built in 1763 in the Baroque style, or the War Memorial, built by the local sculptor Virgilio Milani as a tribute to the soldiers who died in the World Wars.
Among the events not to be missed in Bagnolo di Po is the traditional Palio delle Contrade, which takes place every first Saturday in September. Five teams, one from each of the town's five districts, compete in games of skill inspired by the medieval period.