Villa Barbarigo Pizzoni-Ardemani is located in the Valsanzibio area of Galzignano Terme in the province of Padua. It was once accessible along the canals from Venice through the Valle di Sant’Eusebio, from which Valsanzibio takes its name.
The splendid villa was acquired in the 15th century by the Contarini family, before being passed in the late 16th century to the Barbarigo family, who created the world-famous Garden of Villa Barbarigo in Valsanzibio. The Pizzoni Ardemani nobles have owned the entire estate since 1929.
THE VILLA’S GARDEN
The Garden of Villa Barbarigo in Valsanzibio is internationally renowned for its integrity, meticulousness and importance.
Designed by papal architect and fountain-maker Luigi Bernini, it was fashioned into its current splendour in the second half of the 17th century by Venetian nobleman Francesco Zuane Barbarigo, spanning 150,000 square meters.
Its design is highly symbolic, consisting of seventy statues, inspired by the first-born Gregorio Barbarigo, who was a cardinal and later a saint.
The Garden is home to the oldest, most extensive boxwood maze in the world, which reaches a total length of about one and a half kilometres. Then there is Rabbit Island, the Statue of Time, the Fountains of Tricks water feature and finally the famous Diana’s Bath (at the monumental old entrance).
The complex was designed and created to symbolise the human journey towards perfection and salvation.
Just a few minutes’ drive from Abano and Montegrotto Terme, the Garden is a recreational, natural and cultural tourist destination not to be missed.