The church and monastery of the Holy Trinity were built in the 11th century on a small hill that was later named Monte Oliveto. Some time later, the ecclesiastical complex was taken over by the Vallombrosan monks (the order founded by Saint John Gualberto, based at the Abbey of Vallombrosa), thanks to the assistance of Matilda of Canossa and on the instigation of the senior abbots Bernardo degli Uberti and Atto da Pistoia.
The Vallombrosans began the construction of a new church, which was consecrated on 12 January 1117: a cruciform building composed of a single nave, with the arms of the transept consisting of two apsidal chapels. During the 12th century, the bell tower and the façade atrium were added.
In the second quarter of the 14th century, the church was renovated with frescoes by the Giottesque painter known as Maestro del Redentore (Master of the Redeemer) (of whom, among other things, a Last Judgement in the north-east apse remains) and by the sculptor known as Maestro di Santa Anastasia (Master of Saint Anastasia) (of whom a tabernacle depicting the Trinity remains). In 1360, Turone di Maxio painted the altar polyptych for the church, which is now preserved in the Castelvecchio Museum.
A further phase involving the decoration of the main apse was undertaken between the end of the 14th century and the early 15th century by Martino da Verona, who painted the Annunciation of Mary and the Trinity (God the Father is seated on a throne holding the cross of Christ, his son, who has the dove of the Holy Spirit on his head).
The history of the church was shaped by the Allied bombing on 6 April 1945, which destroyed the ancient cloister.
Via Santissima Trinità, 4, 37122 Verona VR, Italy