Giotto's Bell Tower
The bell tower of the Duomo of Florence
The construction of this bell tower in Florentine Gothic style, was begun by Giotto in the early 1300s.
The tower is part of the complex, which consists of the Cathedral and the Baptistery, and it stands in Piazza Duomo,85 meters high and 15 meters wide, featuring a square floor plan. The unusually detached position with respect to the rest of the complex is deliberately designed not to hide the Dome, included in the original project by Arnolfo Di Cambio (and entrusted to Brunelleschi 60 years later). What makes the monumental complex homogeneous is the external cladding, in unmistakable white, green and red marble.
The uniqueness of the Bell Tower lies in the reliefs and sculptural decorations that saw the participation of the best sculptors in Florence, including Bacco and Donatello. The bell tower was completed in 1359, by Francesco Talenti to whom we owe the light that enters from the large windows at the top and the terrace, which can be accessed by climbing 400 steps where it offers a full panoramic view of Florence.