The theatre was built in 1782 on the wishes of Count Alberti by Dr Luigi Carpentari de Mittemberg and designed by Bologna-born Filippo Maccari.
The comic opera "Giannina e Bernardone" by Domenico Cimarosa was performed there in 1784.
Since then, accompanied by the affection of the Rovereto locals, it has spanned the city’s history, undergoing restorations, transfer of ownership and two world wars. Between 1914 and 1918, it was used as storage and stabling for horses and was severely damaged. In 1920 it was purchased by the municipality of Rovereto and renamed “Teatro Zandonai”. On 30 April 1924, the restored theatre reopened with Riccardo Zandonai's "Romeo and Juliet".
In September 2002, work began with the restoration of the structures, paintings, and woodwork, with upgrades to plant engineering and safety standards, and revision of the furnishings.
As well as restoring and enhancing the historical treasure chest, a new stage tower and modern technical facilities were built to bring the old theatre up to date again.
Today, the theatre is at the "heart" of the people of Rovereto: a place for culture, entertainment, but also socialising, a fruitful crossroads of ideas and civic passions.