Piazza Europa in San Lorenzo Nuovo: the Octagonal Heart of an 18th-Century Ideal City
Piazza Europa is the focal point of San Lorenzo Nuovo, a rare example of 18th-century urban planning in the upper Tuscia. The octagonal square, having a diameter of 80 metres, was designed by architect Francesco Navone, drawing inspiration from Amalienborg Square in Copenhagen. Traversed by the Via Cassia, it is dominated by the Church of San Lorenzo Martire, rising to a height of 34 metres. The entire layout dates to 1774, when Pius VI completed the transfer of the inhabitants from the old village.
A Town Founded from Scratch
San Lorenzo alle Grotte stood in a small valley close to Lake Bolsena, an unhealthy area prone to flooding and malaria. Clement XIV authorised the construction of the new hamlet by chirograph dated 3 June 1772. The works, directed by Filippo Prada, were completed in 1779. The stones of the abandoned village were used to build the first houses. The original design was by the architect Alessandro Dori, who died before construction began; Navone took up his rationalist approach, developing a grid of orthogonal streets radiating from the central square.
The Square Today
Facing the square are the Municipio (Town Hall) — formerly the Palazzo del Governatore — and uniform dwellings with no class distinctions. On the south-east side, the marble plaque of 1779 commemorating the founders is still visible. The weekly Saturday market and the Sagra degli Gnocchi in August enliven a space that remains the centre of local life.