Rovigo. In 1474, the powerful cardinal Bartolomeo Roverella commissioned the construction of a majestic palace in Piazza Maggiore, Rovigo, to flaunt the prestige of the Roverella family.
Unfortunately, the name of the architect is unknown. The cardinal’s sudden death, in 1477, put a stop to the construction works and until the late sixteenth century, various unwarranted renovations accelerated the building’s degradation.
After the end of World War II, restoration work began on the façade, which – featuring three architectural orders resting on sturdy marble columns – is particularly harmonious in appearance, also due to the play of colour generated by the use of red brick and white marble.
In the year 2000, the Rovigo Town Council (which owns the Palazzo) and Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Padova e Rovigo subsidised further renovation works, turning this historic building into the permanent home of the Pinacoteca dell’Accademia dei Concordi e del Seminario Vescovile di Rovigo, as well as the temporary home of many exhibitions, year after year.