Perfect example of urban redevelopment
Between Via Ghibellina, Via dell 'Agnolo and Viale della Giovine Italia, the Monumental Complex of the Walls of Florence occupies about 14,500 square meters. The quadrilateral includes a former fifteenth-century monastery that carried out prison functions from 1883 to 1985, Piazza delle Murate, Piazza della Madonna della Neve, Via delle Vecchi Carceri, a large courtyard for parking and the Chapel of the Madonna della Neve of the sixteenth century, with barrel vaults and a precious fresco of the Botticelliana school.
In 2001 the building and functional recovery of the area that has always been inaccessible began, and now became an integral part of the city through a redevelopment work. The intervention has made available numerous apartments used for commercial, restaurant and recreational activities, places of aggregation, exhibition rooms, artist residences, public offices and an area dedicated to digital training. Here coexist the Murate Art District - MAD, the Sustainability Office, the Murate Idea Park-MIP, the Europe Direct Florence, the Informagiovani, a Literary Cafe, the Robert F. Kennedy Foundation of Italy Onlus Association, the Magazine and Cultural Association Testimonials, which have made it a privileged place for the exhibition of contemporary Florentine culture as well as one of the Civic Places of Italy.