Once they had gained control of the Gavi region, the Genoese decided to take advantage of the imposing hillside above the town to build a military fort to defend it and the borders of their Republic. The massive ramparts of the fortress, built and enlarged between the 16th and 18th centuries, form a polygon in the shape of a pointed star, making an impressive visual impact.
When Gavi was incorporated into the territory of Piedmont in 1815, the Savoy family decided to turn the fort into a prison. The easily defensible structure seemed ideal for this purpose, and it is not surprising that even during the world wars foreign prisoners and Italian deserters were locked up within these impregnable walls.
It is advisable to inquire in advance about the opening hours of the Gavi Fort museum, also to take advantage of the panoramic view over the entire Upper Monferrato landscape.