Overlooking the central Piazza Andrea Costa, the Collegiate Church of St Mary Major is the oldest church in the area. The first mention of it dates back to 1207. Until 1378, it was the only baptismal font serving the community. The building you see today is a reconstruction from the early 1700s, designed by the Campiotti brothers of Modena. However, the apse remains that of the pre-existing church, which dates back to the mid-14th century. The interior of the church is Baroque, with a single nave and side altars. The bell tower, 48 metres high, is in the Romanesque-Renaissance style and was restored in the 1990s. The earthquake that struck Emilia in 2012 severely damaged the church, also causing the dome to collapse. After extensive and complex structural consolidation and restoration, the church was reopened in 2018. The architectural value of this church is further enhanced by a number of fine artworks, notably the Annunciation by Guercino (1646), the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin by Guido Reni (1600) and a wooden crucifix dating back to the 13th-14th century.