The church of St Euphemia, founded in the early Middle Ages, was rebuilt by the order of the Augustinian friars, together with the convent and cloisters, which were renovated in the 17th century. The bishop of Verona, Manfredo Roberti, gave permission to lay the foundation stone in 1265. The building project was funded by the Scaligeri, Lords of Verona. The construction process lasted a very long time and largely coincided with the episcopate of the Augustinian friar Tebaldo. The church was consecrated in 1331. The large 14th-century church, built entirely of brick with a Gothic portal dating from 1476, has been enhanced over time with decorations, chapels and works of art. The interior of the church underwent considerable change during the Renaissance. In 1739, when the barrel vault was built, the series of windows above the altar line was opened. One of the most important chapels in the church was the one commissioned in the 14th century by the Dal Verme family. It was in this chapel where, in the second decade of the 16th century, the Veronese painter Giovan Francesco Caroto painted Stories of Tobiolo and the Archangel Raphael on the walls for the Spolverini family. The paintings in the church are the work of the leading lights of Veronese painting during the 16th and 17th centuries, including Francesco Torbido, Battista Del Moro, Paolo Farinati, Jacopo Ligozzi, Bernardino India, Domenico and Felice Brusasorzi. Many interventions were carried out in the 19th century, while the rose window on the façade, replaced by a large window in the 18th century, was restored in 1945.