One of the major Italian art collections
The Castelvecchio Museum exhibits important collections of medieval, Renaissance and modern art (up to the 18th century). There are 29 rooms dedicated to the exhibition of paintings, sculptures, archaeological finds and weapons. The museum also houses a Drawings and Prints Cabinet, a Numismatic Cabinet, and the Sala Boggian is dedicated to temporary exhibitions.
Designed with modern criteria between 1958 and 1974 by Carlo Scarpa, it is located in the Scaligera fortress of Castelvecchio.
The castle was built between 1354 and 1356 by Cangrande II della Scala to have a fortified nucleus of control over the Adige near the northern access to the city.
The restoration work brought to light the ancient Porta del Morbio, which opened in the 12th century walls, and returned to the city a museum site universally recognized as one of the masterpieces of Italian museography.
The works are exhibited in chronological order, beginning with early Christian finds and ending with paintings from the 1700s.