The sweetest spot in the town of Valenza
Known as the jewellery capital of Piedmont, Valenza is a small town in the province of Alessandria, on the border with Lombardy. In addition to architectural beauties and the renowned Museo dell’Oreficeria Diffuso goldsmithing museum, this town is home to another small jewel, included in the list of Italy’s historic places.
Caffetteria Barberis was founded in 1896, later becoming a producer of confectionery and liqueurs and “Supplier to the Royal House of Savoy”. Today it is a renowned patisserie, considered a true temple to sweet things. In 2006, the Pasticceria was forced to relocate, although the 20th-century counter and elegant woodwork have been preserved in the new premises.
The Pasticceria passionately carries on the tradition of original recipes developed over more than a century, including tartufata, amaretti, ladyfingers and panfrutto – a butterless cake invented during wartime. Not to be missed are the famous “Barbesotti” biscuits made from dark and white chocolate to celebrate the Pasticceria’s centenary.