At the mouth of the Val Gerola, Morbegno combines ancient commercial and craft traditions with a more dynamic and economically developed recent past. Morbegno is a small town of mediaeval origins that grew in importance after the 16th century thanks to the Priula road, which connected it to Bergamo and made it a stronghold of travel between the Republic of Venice and the north. Not to be missed is the sanctuary of the Assumption or San Lorenzo. Begun in 1418 and consecrated in 1506, the sanctuary is a jewel of art in which to look for frescoes and a grandiose gilded wooden altarpiece on the high altar. Once across the eighteenth-century Ganda bridge over the Adda, one enters the historic centre, where the collegiate church of San Giovanni Battista, founded in the 16th century and rebuilt in monumental Baroque style, is worth a visit.