A village on the Po side of the Ligurian Apennines in the upper Trebbia Valley, it rises halfway up the mountainside on the rocky Bric di Rondanina. An ancient feud of the Fieschi family, it later passed to the Republic of Genoa. It was an important stopping and trading point for the salt and grain trade between the Po Valley and the Ligurian Sea. Until 1923 it belonged to the province of Pavia. It is now the smallest municipality in Liguria. Its territory is largely included in the Antola Park and offers several interesting hiking routes. The church of San Nicola, built at the end of the 17th century on the remains of a Romanesque building from the 13th century, and, in the premises of the former parish rectory, the very interesting "Il Lupo in Liguria" (The Wolf in Liguria) Visitors' Centre, which, through an interactive itinerary, provides valuable information and stimulating insights into this animal and its present-day relationship with man. The aforementioned hamlet is also part of the Antola Regional Natural Park: one of the most enchanting areas of the Apennines and the Ligurian hinterland, thanks to the extraordinary panorama of the 1600 m Mount Antola and the activities of the nearby Brugneto Lake.