Santa Maria Nuova in Viterbo: the Romanesque church that governed the city
The Church of Santa Maria Nuova is located in the historic centre of Viterbo, just a short walk from the San Pellegrino quarter. Built before 1080, it is one of the oldest Romanesque churches in the city. The original layout is still recognisable thanks to its Lombard style, three naves, and truss ceiling.
A canonry at the heart of public life
In 1080, Bishop Giselberto received the church as a gift, along with a canonry, a cloister, and a hospital for pilgrims. The church immediately became Viterbo's political heart: popular assemblies and general councils were held here until 1574, and the ironclad chests of the canonry housed the municipality's documents and funds.
A pulpit for Thomas Aquinas and frescoes by Viterbo's painters
The walls display frescoes by Matteo Giovannetti and Antonio Zacchi. There is also a triptych of the Holy Saviour, and from the external pulpit, St Thomas Aquinas preached in 1266. The truss ceiling was decorated in the 15th century with painted beams and tiles.
The Lombard cloister rediscovered in 1954
Behind the church lies the Lombard cloister, with small arches supported by columns and Romanesque pillars, which had remained hidden until 1954. During restoration work, numerous skeletons were uncovered, indicating that the area had been used as a mass grave for centuries.