Palazzo Restituti in Caprarola: the noble residence that aligned itself with the power of the Farnese
Walking along Via Diritta in Caprarola, the eye is immediately drawn to Palazzo Restituti, a building that hides a story of power and architecture. Its façade in peperino stone, attributed to architect Jacopo Del Duca, was completed in 1586. This palazzo was not built from scratch, it was the result of merging several medieval houses, realigned to follow the course of the new, grand thoroughfare.
A bond written in stone
Brothers Lattanzio and Pompeo Restituti commissioned the palazzo. Their names are still carved today on the inscription above the large rusticated portal, alongside the family coat of arms, as a way of asserting their status. Their ties to the lords of Caprarola ran deep — a relative of theirs, Don Alessandro, had blessed the resumption of works on the colossal Palazzo Farnese in 1559.
One palace, many houses
Del Duca's intervention was a masterstroke. Rather than demolishing, he brought the pre-existing medieval structures into a single building volume. This solution allowed him to fill the uneven gap between the old urban fabric and the new road, Via Diritta — today Via Filippo Nicolai. A single façade brought order to it all. A masterpiece of urban planning.
The palazzo is a private residence, and cannot be visited inside. Its façade can be freely admired while strolling along Via Filippo Nicolai, in the historic centre of Caprarola.