Oslavia, small hamlet of the city of Gorizia, is located at the eastern end of the Gorizia Collio. What today appear as peaceful vine-growing hills were the scene of a fierce war between November and December of 1915, the fourth battle of the Isonzo.
Along the banks of the Isonzo river, the Italian army launched repeated offensives in an attempt to regain control over the Friulian territory, which was still part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
The Oslavia Military Memorial was erected in 1938 to a design by architect Ghino Venturi in memory of the Italian and Austro-Hungarian victims of the First World War.
A robust circular structure stands in the centre of the monument, flanked by three lateral towers: underneath the main building, a series of tunnels connect a number of subterranean crypts, which hold the remains of the fallen.