The village is known above all for its castle, located on the top of a hill near the lush Roveto Valley in the municipality of Balsorano, in a spectacular landscape.
It was erected on the foundations of another ancient and dilapidated structure, by Antonio Piccolomini, nephew of Pope Pius II, around the year 1460, who also assumed the barony.
The Piccolomini held possession of the castle until the early 1700s when the family died out and the barony of Balsorano passed under the dominion of Baron Testa, a Roman nobleman. The castle of Balsorano, owned by the Fiastri-Zannelli family, is today managed by the Castles of Italy Society, modelled on the castles of France and England.
Don't miss a visit to the ancient and evocative church dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie. Its location is spectacular, adjacent to the banks of the Liri river; in the blissful symbiosis of ancient and natural beauty, it is possible to admire a true jewel of the past, of which the circular apse with the altar still intact, the nave and the dome remain.
Next to the church is the Renaissance tower, which was used as a mill between the 18th and early 20th centuries.