In the heart of an Umbrian town
Considered the city’s main museum, the Palazzo dei Consoli in Gubbio, together with Piazza Grande and the Palazzo del Podestà, is among the area’s most majestic medieval urban constructions. Dating back to 1332, it was designed by architect Angelo da Orvieto and surveyor Matteo di Giovannello, nicknamed “Gattapone”. At over 60 metres high, it stands over the city with its Gothic-style bell tower and panoramic loggia. It was designed from the start to be the seat of the main magistrates of the Free Commune of Gubbio.
The General Council of the People would meet in the Sala dell’Arengo, while the Gonfalonier and Consuls carried out their tasks on the upper floor. The rooms on the level of the Piazza Grande were reserved for the Captain of the People, who commanded the “Armati” (men-at-arms), housed in the rooms at the level of Via Gattapone. The building was also equipped with a chapel, numerous toilets and an internal aqueduct for the fountains.
Since 1909, it has housed the Civic Museum collections illustrating local history and culture from prehistory to the 20th century. The highlight of the exhibition are the Iguvine Tablets—seven bronze slabs representing the most important text in the Umbrian language. You can also admire the coin and ceramics collections.