Orange Flag of the Italian Touring Club
The intense red colour of terracotta is the first thing you notice on arrival atCittà della Pieve, a medieval village perched on a hilltop.
Once through the gateway into the city walls, the churches to visit include the churches of St Bartholomewand St Francis, or the Fortress built in 1326, with its five square towers.
The heart of the historic centre is Piazza del Plebiscito, where the dominant feature is the Cathedral with its beautiful interior adorned with several paintings by Perugino. From the main square, the village divides into "tertiaries": the Castello district with Piazza XIX Giugno, Casalino home to the Oratory of St Mary of the White and Borgo Dentro.
In August, the three districts are pitted against each other in the traditionalPalio dei Terzieri, an event held in Renaissance costumes inspired by the works of Perugino. During the run-up to Christmas a beautiful Nativity scene is set up, with wooden figures (again as a tribute to Perugino). Gastronomic highlights certainly include the local saffron, which has been grown in this region since ancient times (13th century).