Founded at the beginning of the 12th century but rebuilt in the 1700s, it is today one of the most significant examples of Baroque architecture in the Bari region. The monumental façade and cathedral square date back to the 18th century. The magnificent interior is embellished with a collection of paintings by Palma il Giovane and Francesco De Mura. Also of note is the Byzantine icon of the Madonna della Madia (circa 1280), which, according to legend, came here from the sea on a pile of logs later used to make the roof trusses. Archaeological excavations beneath the transept of the church, of which some of the finds are in the Crypt Museum, have revealed the very ancient use of the site. The Diocesan Museum inside the Episcopal Palace houses a collection of paintings from the Venetian and Neapolitan schools.