The Swabian Castle, along with the Cathedral, is the main symbol of Termoli and is the dominant feature of this medieval village, made up of narrow, twisting streets and well-preserved houses. The castle and most of the outer walls were built in the 13th century by Frederick II of Swabia. It is a fortified brick building with a quadrangular plan, round corner turrets and a large central tower. The castle was then rebuilt after the 1456 earthquake and then restored several times.
Thanks to its location right on the coast, almost overlooking the Adriatic, the castle is particularlyscenic and is the perfect backdrop for beautiful souvenir photos from Termoli, where the scent of the sea is everywhere. The silhouette of the mighty tower and castle harks back to distant times and battles with pirates and other foes.
Some of the rooms are also venues for the Municipal Art Gallery, conferences and events. The castle also offers a splendid view of the snow-capped mountains of nearby Abruzzo.