Piobbico is a municipality of mediaeval origin located 339 metres above sea level, in a pleasant valley, protected by two mountains: the Nerone (1526 m) and the Montiego (975 m), at the meeting point of two rivers, the Biscubio and the Candigliano.
Dominated by the imposing peak of Mount Nerone, one of the highest peaks of the Umbro-Marchigiano Apennines, which towers over the valley of the Candigliano river with steep slopes and is cut by valleys, gorges, natural arches and spectacular canyons carved into the limestone.
In the exquisite Palazzo Brancaleoni, home of the noble Brancaleoni family, captains of fortune to whom the territory of Piobbico was entrusted as a fiefdom around the year 1000, various buildings and architectural styles overlap harmoniously. Boasting frescoes and stucco decorations by Federico Brandani, it houses a rich geo-palaeontological section in addition to the Civic Museum, and displays evidence of the Brancaleoni family with clothes and jewellery; the courtyard of honour and the Greek Room are of particular value.
The original Club dei Brutti, known throughout the world, has been based in Piobbico since 1879. It has over 30,000 members and 25 locations worldwide. Every year, on 7 September, there is a festival dedicated to it.
The ski resort of Monte Nerone falls within the territory of the municipality of Piobbico. Located on the northeastern slope of the mountain between 1290 and 1430 metres above sea level, it consists of the Sciovia del Mandrione ski lift; it has five slopes totalling 6,050 km and other services.