The military symbol of Sanremo
From stronghold to barracks, then prison and finally museum complex. Santa Tecla Fort, during its almost 300 years, has been able to adapt to Sanremo’s times and needs and has always been one of the main symbols of the City of Flowers.
Its construction was a show of strength by Genoa in the face of the Sanremo insurgents who had rebelled against the Republic in 1753. At the time, the building bore the name Fortress of St George. The triangular plan spreads over three storeys and is fortified by bastions at the apexes. Over the centuries, the building was used for various purposes until it was transformed into an centre for exhibitions and cultural initiatives in the early 2000s.
Beyond the massive entrance door, you find yourself in the strikingly scenic inner courtyard. The area has been beautifully restored, and a glass and steel roof has been installed to shelter from the weather while still being able to admire the sky. Visit the former prison cells and treat yourself to a romantic 360-degree view of the city by walking along the walkway.