In 1564, Nicolò Grimaldi, known as 'the Monarch', acquired a piece of land adjacent to the Palazzo Bianco area to the west and to the monastery of S. Francesco and the bastion of Castelletto to the north. This extremely large area allowed for the construction of a building only as large as the Doria-Pamphilj building in Fassolo. The steep slope of the land provided an opportunity for designers Domenico and Giovanni Ponzello to experiment with an innovative architectural solution, with the atrium-courtyard-staircase arrangement for a surprising play of perspectives.
Giovanni Andrea Doria bought the palazzo for his son Carlo, Duke of Tursi, the construction of which was completed in 1596 by Carlone and Orsolino with the addition of two side loggias that spectacularly integrated it with the surrounding green spaces.
Until the beginning of the 19th century, the palace remained the property of the Doria family and was further complemented by the neighbouring Palazzo delle Torrette (1716). Later, it became the residence of the Savoy family (1819) and saw the addition of interior decoration with stuccoes and frescoes. The demolition of St. Francis' allowed for its extension to the rear due to the construction of the clock tower and the creation of a 'romantic' garden that scenographically recovered the structural and decorative elements of the aforementioned church.
Transformed into a boarding school in 1838 and becoming the Town Hall building from 1848, after the extension to the north of the municipal offices, designed by Albini-Helg between 1952 and 1959, it is now part of the larger 'Strada Nuova Museum System'.