Church of St Mary of Divine Providence in Ronciglione: the Madonna Found Inside a Wall
The Church of Santa Maria della Provvidenza stands in the village of Ronciglione, overlooking a tufa cliff. It was built in the 11th century under the name of Sant'Andrea (St Andrew) — the village's first parish church — and has a single nave with a truss roof.
A crumbling cliff
In the 18th century, the cliff on which the church stands began to crumble away. Wide cracks appeared on the walls of the sacristy, the rectory, and the left side — the one facing the ravine. In 1722, a boulder broke away from the base. The church was restored in Baroque style, and in 1742 a small external portico was added.
A hidden fresco
During restoration work, while removing a block of stone to insert a beam, a painting was discovered: the Madonna with Child. The parish priest — who had been struggling to find the funds for the restoration — saw the discovery as a sign of divine providence. And indeed, the money came through. The painting was moved to the high altar, and the church took on its current name. For the people of Ronciglione, that image was considered miraculous. Even St Charles Borromeo often came to pray before it — so much so that the priest had the saint's figure painted on the front of the altar.
The bell tower
Of the original structures, the 13th–14th century bell tower remains, standing nearly flush with the tufa cliff. Part of the fifth storey and the small roof are missing. The base was once part of the defences of the Porta Pentoma gate and Ponte delle Tavole bridge.