The Baronial Palace of Roccagorga: a medieval castle transformed into a Baroque residence on the finest square in the Lepini Mountains
Piazza VI Gennaio is one of the most beautiful Baroque squares in Italy, and one end is occupied by the Baronial Palace of Roccagorga. The other end is framed by the Collegiate Church of Saints Erasmus and Leonard, with its convex façade. The two buildings face each other like the wings of a theatre set. The palace has medieval origins: the Counts of Ceccano built it in the 11th century as a military fortress to control the Amaseno Valley.
Transformations through the centuries
In the 18th century, the Ginetti family renewed the urban layout of the village, and converted the stronghold into a residential palace. Then came the Orsini family: in the latter part of the 18th century, they built the right wing and put a large mechanical clock onto the ancient medieval tower. In 1811, following the marriage between Maria Teresa Orsini and Prince Doria Pamphilj, the palace passed on to the latter family. Their coat of arms is still carved above the entrance portal. The stratification of eras can clearly be seen: the massive forms of the original stronghold, the residential refinements of the 18th century, and the noble coat of arms of the 19th century.
The palace today
In the 1950s the palace was split up: one half was sold to private owners, the other half was purchased by the Municipality. The basement rooms house the EtnoMuseo dei Monti Lepini (Lepini Mountains Ethnographic Museum), which documents the rural heritage of the area through artefacts, reconstructions and installations.