The Museo del Tesoro di San Gennaro is a place of extraordinary historical, artistic, cultural and spiritual importance, where the magnificent works that belong to the Treasury of San Gennaro are preserved, never exhibited until today. These include the frescoes by Luca Giordano, the paintings by Domenichino and Massimo Stanzione, as well as the majestic Sacristy.
The Museum was inaugurated in December 2003 with a project financed by private companies, European funds and local institutions, together with the High Patronage of the President of the Republic and on the proposal of the Deputation of the Royal Chapel of the Treasury. The person in charge of this project is the Director Paolo Jorio.
In this place there are ancient documents, objects of great value, in silver, jewelry and paintings, which are part of the Treasury of San Gennaro, donated by the people, the Pontiffs and the Sovereigns over the centuries, and on various occasions, thematic exhibitions are also set up.
Currently, the collection "Gli Argenti" is exhibited, a series of works that go from 1305 to the present day, not sold or stolen, thanks to the Deputation of the Royal Chapel of the Treasury of San Gennaro. Most of them were created by great Neapolitan craftsmen, demonstrating their skill, mastery and extraordinary ability, handed down from century to century.
During the visit, a sound itinerary accompanies visitors, starting from the voices of the alleys of Naples, emphasizing the deep belonging of the city with its History; while observing the silver busts of the Saints that accompany the procession, it is also possible to hear a prayer in San Gennaro. In the section where the blood donated in 1305 by Charles of Anjou is exposed, the visitor can listen to the song of the women relatives of the Saint, who narrate the miracle of liquefaction. On the second floor, you can visit and admire the Sacrestie, a place never open to the public in the previous four centuries.