The church of San Bevignate is located on the outskirts of Perugia, in Via E. Da Pozzo, opposite the monumental cemetery. Its construction, around the middle of the 13th century, was determined by a complex series of factors. This includes the flagellant movement of Raniero Fasani, which spread throughout Italy starting from Perugia in 1260, as well as the new ruling class who, having acquired political pre-eminence, felt the need to acquire their own place of worship and chose the mysterious Bevignate, who was never canonised and of whom there is no certain documentation. Also to be considered are a fair number of hermits who had established their lives in the area and the presence of the Templars, who needed a new church to replace that of St Justin of Arna. Following the pontiff's request, the Templars succeeded in obtaining the patronage of the building. After the destruction of the order in 1312, the church passed to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, who were followed by the nuns of St John. Later, various confraternities took possession of it, until 1860, when it became state property and was entrusted to the Municipality of Perugia.
The church has a simple exterior, inspired by Templar models in Palestine. Inside, with a single nave divided into two bays covered by a cross vault and a raised square apse introduced by a triumphal arch, it preserves 13th and 14th century frescoes of great historical and artistic value, such as the Procession of Flagellants, the Fight between Templars and Muslims and the Legend of St Bevignate. The latter bears graffiti engraved in the late 15th and 16th centuries by pilgrims, worshippers and Knights Templar.
After extensive safety, consolidation and restoration work, the church was officially 'returned' to the city on 20 April 2009. In addition, a new public space has been set up inside to house a Documentation Centre on the history of the Templar Order.