A small hamlet of Montecastrilli, in the province of Terni (Umbria), Castel dell'Aquila was founded as a defensive outpost of the city of Todi. Constant clashes and the expansionist ambitions of the city of Amelia forced the Todini family to bar the passage by building a castle to control the valley.
Built on the Nobile hill in 1294, it was destroyed in 1366 by the mercenary company that, in the service of Cardinal Albornoz, travelled across the lands of central Italy to re-establish the power of the Church during the Avignonese period.
Rebuilt several times, it was always at the centre of the most varied interests on account of its position of transit and control.
The strategic significance of the site is confirmed by the presence, on a nearby hill, of Fort Caesar, a castle dating back to the 12th century, which he believed had the same function as Castel dell'Aquila.
Not to be missed is the Museum of Rural Civilisation, a collection of over 3,000 items that tell the story and life of the rural communities that have always lived in this area.