Castelbuono’s new place of worship
The Church of the Nativity of Mary, or Madrice Nuova, dates back to the 17th century, when the population of Castelbuono had grown so much that the Mother Church, or Madrice Vecchia, was no longer big enough to host all the worshippers. And so, in 1701, this new place of worship opened its doors. However, it closed in 1820 after being almost completely destroyed in an earthquake.
Since then, the church has been completely rebuilt with the exception of the dome and two bell towers and today features a simple and elegant neoclassical style. Inside it is spacious and bright, divided into three naves divided by twelve stone columns. The building houses works of great artistic value, including the 15th-century wooden cross, the stuccoes decorating the columns and, above all, the triptych from the Church of Sant’Antonio Abate. Don’t miss the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, adorned with stuccoes celebrating the Eucharist.