In the centre of Lecce, in Piazza San Oronzo, stands a large building, one third of which was discovered in the early 20th century following significant urban redevelopment of the city. One third of it is visible, while the rest is hidden under the square and adjacent buildings. Archaeological excavations, which were started in 1900 by Cosimo De Giorgi and continued, with interruptions, until 1940, brought a historic amphitheatre presumably dating back to the age of Augustus to light. With an elliptical shape measuring approximately 102 x 82 metres, the Amphitheatre could seat between 12,000 and 14,000 people. For its construction, full use was made of the Lecce stone bench to support the tiers of seats, while the load-bearing elements of the elevation required the use of square work with concrete conglomerate structures and reticulated opus quadratum walls. Divided into four sectors, each with its own entrance, the Amphitheatre allowed access from the level of the media cavea, from which, thanks to a system of connecting stairs, one could ascend to the upper perimeter portico, the summa cavea, or descend to the lower ambulatory, connected to the ima cavea. There were also six service passages leading to the arena. The outer wall originally had 68 arches, out of which 24 pillars are still visible. The perimeter gallery on the second floor was presumably topped by a portico containing some fragments of architectural decoration in pentelic marble. The podium was covered with marble slabs and a continuous relief with scenes of venationes ran along the balteus, the parapet of the arena. Numerous elements of sculptural decoration are preserved inside the lower amphitheatre.