Teatro Rossini was inaugurated as the Teatro del Sole in 1637, during the pontificate of Urban VIII, who granted the old ducal stables by Federico Ubaldo Della Rovere as a venue for public performances.
The building underwent several transformations over time; real reconstruction was carried out by the architect Pietro Ghinelli between 1816 and 1818, when it was inaugurated as the Teatro Nuovo with an exceptional performance of La Gazza Ladra directed by Gioacchino Rossini himself, already famous even if only 27. Of the old building, only the rusticated portal by Filippo Terzi remained, still today, the main entrance. In 1855, the theatre was named after Rossini. In 1934, the façade was rebuilt, the foyer modified and a large hall (today's Sala della Repubblica) built at the third tier of boxes.
The reopening of the Rossini in 1980 decreed the beginning of an intense life together with the founding of the Rossini Opera Festival.
Throughout the year, the theatre hosts opera productions and concerts of the Rossini Opera Festival, the Theatre Season, the Concert Season and the National Drama Festival.
Photo credit: Regione Marche