Early Romanesque church dedicated to St Lawrence, erected in 1258 by the Hermits of St Augustine. Between the late 1300s and early 1400s, the church was heavily remodelled in Gothic style on commission of the Malatesta family. The bell tower with a beautiful terracotta foliate frame, the precious Gothic-Venetian portal on the façade, of white Istrian stone and red Verona marble, decorated with lions and statues in niches and tabernacles, date to this period.
In the 18th century, the church was transformed in late Baroque style and was re-consecrated in 1776.
In 1919, the church was elevated to the status of parish church and has been dedicated to St Augustine since then.
In the 1916 earthquake, the right side aisle was lost. In 1949 extensive restoration work was carried out, especially on the vault, due to bombs that had fallen nearby during World War II.
Photo credit: Regione Marche