The lighthouse in San Benedetto del Tronto looks like a white cylindrical tower 31 metres high with a two-storey house next to it where its keeper lives. To date, it is the most important facility in the mid-Adriatic, a coastal strip stretching from Ancona to Ortona in Abruzzo. Unlike most others, this lighthouse is located near the city centre, in Piazza Giorgini, at the beginning of the pedestrian island, well integrated between palm trees and oleanders. It was built between 1948 and 1950 and officially went into operation in 1957. Before then, the only reference point for seafarers was the sound of the cathedral bells. Its rotating beam can illuminate a distance of approximately 32 nautical miles. In foggy conditions, the foghorn is activated, sending out an acoustic every 30 seconds. Theoretically, through a spiral staircase with no fewer than 150 steps, it is possible to reach its summit with a terrace to enjoy a panorama of rare beauty: the view can sweep from the sea, to the port, to the city centre, all the way to the Sibillini Mountains. In practice, however, the area is not accessible as it is a completely fenced-off military area.