The meeting point for discovering the Navigli
Porta Ticinese, or Porta Cicca, as the Milanese call it, was built by Cagnola between 1801 and 1813. One of the 6 gates in the medieval walls of Milan. Together with the arches of Porta Nova, in Via Manzoni, it is the only evidence of the 11th century Milanese walls swept away by Barbarossa's army in 1162.
Porta Ticinese, near the Darsena, the source for the Naviglio Grande and the Naviglio Pavese, was the entrance to a district that was once poor, marked by heavy labor and crime. Today the Ticinese and the Navigli are the symbol par excellence of the "Milano da bere": aperitifs, socializing and music.
South of the Ticinese, there is the popular Stadera district, then the condominiums of Chiesa Rossa, with one of the most beautiful libraries in the green nature of Milan.
Interesting fact: Visiting the Vicolo dei Lavandai you can admire an ancient washhouse once used by men who had even established in the eighteenth century a Confraternity of Launderers with St. Anthony of Padua as patron saint.