The charitable institution Pio Monte della Misericordia, founded in 1602 by seven noblemen of Naples, is still in operation. Inside the building, designed by Francesco Antonio Picchiatti, is one of the most important private collections open to the public.
The Quadreria on the first floor houses an extraordinary series of paintings from the 16th to the 19th century, including works by Giordano, Ribera, Stanzione, Vaccaro, Preti and other masters. The building also includes a historical flat with a museum function that can be visited by the public, the headquarters of the private association. Art objects, silverware and sacred vestments from ancient Naples confraternities are kept here.
Caravaggio's work 'The Seven Works of Mercy' (1607), located on the high altar of the church, is very important. The other apses depict each of the Works of Mercy with paintings by Luca Giordano, Fabrizio Santafede, Battistello Caracciolo, Giovan Bernardo Azzolino and Giovan Vincenzo Forlì.
Since 2008, the first floor has housed the Art Collection of the Province of Naples, exhibited through temporary exhibitions in which numerous Neapolitan masterpieces from the 19th and 20th centuries can be admired. The Pio Monte della Misericordia is also home to a rich Archive/Library, which contains documents and volumes of great value and rarity.