The church on the stones of Matera
The Cathedral with its Apulian Romanesque style still clearly visible, is dedicated to Our Lady of Bruna and St. Eustace, patron saints of Matera. Located in the city's historic center, the 4-story square-based bell tower catches the eye with its facade decorations and Romanesque rose window featuring a 16-spoke wheel of fortune topped off by a statue of the Archangel Michael. On the architrave of the main door there is a niche containing a statue of Maria SS. della Bruna and on the sides the statues of St. Eustace, St. Peter and St. Paul sculpted by Altobello Persio in 1540 can be seen. There are two other entrances on the sides - the square door with a bas-relief of Abraham, and the other, the lions’ door with two stone-carved lions. The interior is in the shape of a Latin cross and has an ancient nativity scene that dates back to the 1500s inspired by the caves in the Sassi di Matera area, the Last Judgment painted by Rinaldo da Taranto, the Renaissance chapel of the Annunziata, and the 13th-century fresco of Our Lady of Bruna.