The Basilica of the Madonna 'de Finibus Terrae', located right where the mainland ends and the horizon merges with the waves of the sea, is a destination for pilgrims from all over the world. Inside the church there is a large monolithic rock, the Ara a Minerva, recalling the ancient cult to the goddess of the same name. In the square, people can admire the Marian column, dating back to 1694. The hamlet of Santa Maria di Leuca is a land of devotion but also of enchanting views: the limpid sea, in which the Adriatic inextricably merges with the Ionian, is dotted with suggestive caves. Dominating the scene is the lighthouse, a good 102 metres high, 55 metres above sea level, 47 metres above the ground, built in 1864, one of the most important in Italy. The narrow streets of the village unravel between the white walls of the houses, a scenery made even more suggestive when it is illuminated by the warm rays of the sun.