A scenic Romanesque building houses the main place of worship in Acqui, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, surmounted by a tall thirteenth-century bell tower.
Consecrated in 1067, the city's cathedral is a treasure trove of art works and architecture. From the Renaissance marble portal to the pillars that support the internal naves, and from the cloister beside the main church to the evocative underground crypt, everything seems to speak of Acqui Terme's illustrious past.
The cathedral sacristy, also known as the Hall of the Canons, houses a painting of great artistic value and prestige: a triptych (a painting divided into three parts) by Bartolomé Bermejo, regarded as the most important Spanish painter of the fifteenth century. The story goes that a wealthy Acqui merchant personally commissioned this work from Bermejo before donating it to the city, to the delight of the inhabitants of Acqui Terme and travellers.