Oliverian Archaeological Museum
The Museo Archeologico Oliveriano is named after Pesaro-born Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri Giordani (1708-1789), a scholar and careful collector of antiquities, who donated a considerable amount of archaeological and numismatic material and part of his income to the city.
Particularly significant for the genesis of the museum is also the work of Giovan Battista Passeri (1694-1780), a friend of Olivieri who received a large part of his collection.
The current arrangement of the Oliveriani Museums, on the ground floor of 17th century Palazzo Almerici, dates back in part to the 1950s.
The numerous 1892-93 excavation materials in the Early Iron Age necropolis at Novilara and even more famous figured stelae are of great importance. The inscribed cippus and materials found by Olivieri and Passeri in the lucus sacro near Santa Veneranda are related to the problem of the early Romanisation of the Pesaro area. There is also a well-known bilingual Etruscan-Latin inscription and other important and numerous finds from the Roman period (oil lamps, small bronzes, ceramics, sarcophagi, sculptures and inscriptions).
Photo Credits: PH Paolo Semprucci