Como’s La Rotunda
In the Borgo Vigo area, overlooking the shore of Lake Como, stands one of the most important neoclassical villas of the 18th century, Villa Saporiti, also known as La Rotonda or Villa Resta Pallavicino. It was built between 1783 and 1793 by Leopoldo Pollack, with subsequent works by Luigi Cagnola.
The building is imposing and monumental, despite the sobriety of the exterior decorations. Its special feature, hence the name Rotonda, is concealed in the interior façade, on the lakefront, where the decorations are concentrated on the exedra whose bulk is punctuated by Doric columns and medallions with representations of river gods.
Above, you can admire large stone statues depicting Jupiter, Juno, Mars, Venus, Apollo and Neptune. The interiors are also noteworthy, embellished with fine stuccoes and sculptures. The most important room is the Hall of Honour, at the exedra, a double-height elliptical hall with lowered dome.
Today, Villa Saporiti is the seat of the Provincial Administration of Como, acquired in the 1950s by the heirs of the Saporiti family.