Church of St Lawrence in Toffia: the second cathedral of Sabina on the Cacultian Hill
Located outside the walls of Toffia, on a hill called Cacultiano, the Church of San Lorenzo is one of the medieval buildings most steeped in the history in the Rieti region of Sabina. Predating the village itself, in 962 AD it hosted the Foronovian bishops who were forced to abandon their see due to Saracen devastation. This event resulted in the title of "secundae sedis Sabinis" (second see of Sabina).
Structure and things to see
The current structure dates back to the late 13th century: a rectangular floor plan, an apse that was originally circular before being transformed, and two side chapels. Before entering, it is worth pausing to look at the façade: it incorporates materials from Roman tombs of the 2nd century BC and two tabulae lusoriae — limestone slabs with engraved grids used as gaming boards in the Roman era.
The two chapels and their saints
The left chapel is dedicated to St Sisinnius, whose remains lie beneath the altar. The lunettes and the entrance arch feature religious figures attributed to Vincenzo Manenti or his workshop, a 17th-century painter active in Sabina. An inscription above dates the chapel to 1656. The right chapel is dedicated to St Saturninus, also a martyr buried beneath the altar. The painting of the martyrdom above the altar bears the signature "Ferdinandus Henry invenit et pinxit" and dates to the 18th century. The chapel was completely revamped in 1782 by Domenico Castellani.