The Co-Cathedral of St Andrew in Subiaco: the Temple Consecrated by Pius VI in Six Hours
In the historic centre of Subiaco, a short distance from the Benedictine Monasteries, the Co-Cathedral of Sant'Andrea is a large Neoclassical church commissioned by cardinal-abbot Giannangelo Braschi. In 1773 he approved its reconstruction and entrusted its design to Pietro Camporese the Elder. When he consecrated it in 1789, he had already become Pope Pius VI.
Two Clocks, Two Eras
The façade is on two levels: six columns and three portals on the lower tier, four Ionic columns and a loggia of the blessings above. On the sides are two bell towers with two different clocks — one gives the "Roman" time, the other the "Jacobin" time. A rare detail, which speaks of an era when time itself was a political matter. At the centre of the pediment, the coat of arms of Pius VI presides over everything.
Inside: Artworks and an Organ with 5,000 Pipes
The interior has three naves, a Latin-cross plan and gilded stucco work. The side chapels contain paintings by Guido Reni, Antonio Cavallucci, Sebastiano Conca and Christoph Unterberger. There is also a panel depicting the Saviour attributed to a pupil of Raphael, and an organ with 5,000 pipes.
From the War to the Minor Basilica
The Anglo-American bombing raids of 1944 reduced it to rubble. It was rebuilt "as it was and where it was" from 1945 to 1952, based on a design by Florestano Di Fausto. On 14 December of that year Pius XII conferred on it the title of minor basilica.