Church of St Lucy in Percile: A Noble Chapel with Twin Towers in the Lucretili Mountains
The Church of Santa Lucia was built in the 16th century as the chapel of Palazzo Borghese, at the highest point of Percile, a village 575 metres above sea level in the Monti Lucretili Park. The church and palace form a single unit, sharing perimeter walls and entrances. The palace was originally a castle from 1033, donated by Azone — son of the condottiere Guerrone — to the Abbot of Farfa. It passed on to the Orsini family in the mid-13th century and finally to the Borghese family. The church is dedicated to St Lucy, patron saint of the village.
The Frescoes and Artworks
The interior houses frescoes and paintings from different periods: a Madonna of the Rosary with St Dominic and St Catherine from 1583, two 17th-century canvases with the same subjects, and a Dream of St Joseph from the 18th century. There is also a wooden crucifix and reused Roman stones set into the walls. The current appearance is the result of successive renovations. The most visible change is recent: in 1914 the single bell tower was replaced by the twin towers that now dominate the village skyline.