The Church of St Lawrence in Gerano: Rococo stuccos and a 17th-century organ
In Gerano, a village in the Ruffi Mountains to the east of Rome, the Church of San Lorenzo Martire has roots dating back to the 11th century, but its current appearance was almost entirely shaped in the 18th century. In 1773, Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Braschi (who later became Pope Pius VI) signed the decree for the construction of the new building. The work, based on a design by Giulio Camporesi and overween by master builder G. Francesco Fontana, was completed in 1797. It was consecrated only in 1825.
The Rococo interior and works of art
The church features three aisles and three long chapels on each side, with 18th-century stucco work throughout. The high altar is monumental. The small 17th-century organ, recently restored, is one of the most interesting elements of the church, as it predates the building. Notable paintings include the Martyrdom of St Lawrence (circle of G. Cades, 1750–1799) and the Our Lady of the Belt with Saints Augustine, Monica, and Roch (Maratta school, 1700–1750). The sacristy is embellished with a walnut counter.
A long and checkered history
In November 1987, the church was closed due to the dangerous condition of the vault and roof. Restoration work, which began in 1989, was interrupted several times, most recently by the earthquake of June 27, 2000. It was finally completed by Christmas 2002.