Theodoli Castle in Ciciliano: the fortress overlooking three valleys in the Prenestini Mountains
Standing at the summit of Ciciliano, between the Prenestini and Ruffi Mountains, Theodoli Castle dominates the intersection of three valleys: Giovenzano, Empolitana, and Fiumicino. A document from the year 1000 certifies its donation to the Abbey of Subiaco. However, its origins may date back to the previous century, when Arab groups defeated along the Aniene River in 916 settled in the area. Since 1576, it has been owned by the Theodoli family, who remain the current owners.
Five families in six centuries
The castle's history is marked by confiscations, forced sales, and returns of ownership. Held for a long time by the Colonna family, it passed to the Church of Rome and then to Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia by order of their father, Pope Alexander VI. In 1503, it returned to the Colonna family. In 1545, it was besieged, and taken by the Farnese family under Pope Paul III. In 1563, Marco Antonio Colonna sold it to the Massimo family. Thirteen years later, it passed to the Theodoli family.
Architecture and roof gardens
The structure has a quadrangular plan with four corner bastions: three with a square base and one circular, added in the 15th century. The two symmetrical exedra-style ramps that connect the castle to the village are the result of transformations undertaken in the early 20th century. From the main living floor (piano nobile), there is access to two roof gardens with battlement walkways (ramparts).